Main Article Content
Analyzing student problems is very important part to help English teachers in developing teaching materials, assessments and teaching methods. Unfortunately, this is not a very easy thing unless the teacher has to analyze student errors. This study discussed common mistakes made by STKIP Muhammadiyah Enrekang students in the first year in writing Essay. Qualitative descriptive research was used to describe data relating to errors used in essay writing on first year of English department of STKIP Muhammadiyah Enrekang. In this paper, researchers discussed the research method namely (1) research design, (2) subject and object of research, (3) method and data collection instruments, and (4) data analysis. The data obtained from assignments collected which have been given for several weeks. Types of errors can be classified into 24 types out of 10 mistakes of students’ essay writing from the highest to the lowest. They are article, preposition, spelling, word choice, subject-verb agreement, auxiliary verb, plural form, verb form, capital letter, and meaningless sentences.
2. Coffin, Caroline; Curry, Mary Jane; Goodman, Sharon; Hewings, Ann; Lillis, Theresa and Swann, Joan (2003). Teaching Academic Writing: A Toolkit for Higher Education. London, UK: Routledge.
3. Ganobcsik-Williams, L. (2001). Teaching writing at university: a survey of staff perspectives. The University of Warwick.
4. Gustilo, L. & Magno, C. (2012). Learners‟ Errors and their evaluation: The Case of Filipino ESL Writers. Philippine ESL Journal, 8, 96-113.
5. Ismail, I. (2017). Is it Application of Extended Writing Truly Push Writing Student Ability?. Edumaspul: Jurnal Pendidikan, 1(2), 15-23. https://doi.org/10.33487/edumaspul.v1i2.22
6. Mustakim, M., & Ismail, I. (2018). The Influence of English Camp in Improving Speaking Skill of English House Course Students in Maroangin Kabupaten Enrekang. Edumaspul: Jurnal Pendidikan, 2(2), 61-70. https://doi.org/10.33487/edumaspul.v2i2.10
7. Mustakim, M., & Ismail, I. (2017). PENINGKATAN KETERAMPILAN MENULIS AKADEMIK BAHASA INGGRIS MELALUI TEKNIK PENGAJARAN DICTOGLOSS. Edumaspul: Jurnal Pendidikan, 1(2), 80-91. https://doi.org/10.33487/edumaspul.v1i2.42
8. Klassen, Johanna. (1994). Using student errors for teaching. Creative English teaching forum (134- 142).
9. Schachter, J. (1974). An error analysis in error analysis. Language Learning, 24, 205-214.
10. Silalahi, Rentauli M. (2013). Common Grammatical Errors in Spoken English of University Students in an IT University. Polyglot, 8, 16-29.
11. Wang, Ping. (2008). Exploring Errors in Target Language Learning and Use: Practice meets Theory. English language teaching, 1(2), 182-187.
12. Zemach & Lisa. (2003). College writing, for learners of American English, is a semi-academic... Publisher: Oxford: Macmillan Education.